IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Friday, 23 March

17:53

The 5 Ways You Can Alleviate Stress During Student Years "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Being stressed and worried about something is a normal human reaction; however, it seizes to be normal when it fully influences your life and changes your behavior. For most students who are in school, stress is a part of their life. They get stressed because they either have a lot of work that they are

16:53

Pickles like pickles are supposed to be "IndyWatch Feed Food"

In the Wheat Belly (and now Undoctored) lifestyles, we include plentiful quantities of fermented foods such as fermented vegetables, kimchi, kombucha, yogurts, and kefirs. This is part of our effort to seed and maintain our colons with the various Lactobacillus, Bifidobacteria, Leuconostoc and other bacterial species, as well as fungal species such as Saccharomyces (kefir, kombucha). This is one of the strategies we follow to reverse the harm done to our bowel health and flora by grains, sugars, and other modern intestinal insults.

While lactate fermentation is really a very simple process to accomplish in your kitchen, it is still nice to be able to purchase some fermented foods for convenience. While I ferment tons of yogurt (to specifically cultivate L. reuteri, for instance, for oxytocin augmentation that thereby yields extravagant skin, bone, and hormonal health), I also purchase some fermented products.

The majority of pickles sold in supermarkets, including most other Kosher pickles, are not fermented, but simply pickled in brine and vinegar. They are therefore essentially sterile and provide no Lactobacillus or other healthy probiotic organisms.

Bubbies lactate-fermented Kosher dill pickles are therefore worth knowing about. Bubbies pickles are fermented. You can see immediately that the brine is thick and murky, representing the dense probiotic organisms floating around. Here is a jar after agitating, sitting in my kitchen window:

In addition to the organisms, they are fermented with their (secret and proprietary) mix of herbs and spices that yields a very tasty end-product. You will pay a premium (I paid $6.99 for a...

15:14

Tonkotsu Ramen "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Tonkotsu Ramen
Ramen seems to be pretty popular in restaurants these days, which is good since I always enjoy a nice bowl of ramen! The other day while I was happily slurping up a bowl of pork ramen I realized that it was about time to share my favourite ramen recipe! Tonkotsu ramen takes a bit of work to make but it's well worth it! It all starts out with tonkotsu ramen broth, chashu pork belly, and ajitsuke tamago (ramen eggs) which can all be made ahead of time so that you can throw the finished bowl of ramen together in almost no time. You simply need to heat the broth, cook the noodles and add your favourite ramen toppings an you are in ramen heaven in less than 20 minutes. I like simple toppings for my ramen adding mushrooms and green onions to the broth, noodles, sliced pork and egg and of course some spicy shichi-mi tgarashi (chili pepper spice blend) finishes it off perfectly! The next time you have a ramen craving think about making your own!

Read the recipe

14:54

Tonkotsu Ramen Broth "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Tonkotsu Ramen Broth
Any good bowl of ramen starts off with a tasty broth and homemade is the best! Home made broth takes a bit of time but it's pretty easy. You start out with bones and the combination of pork and chicken bones is good for flavour. The bones are boiled once, the initial water is discarded and the bones are then rinsed and scrubbed to remove the blood and bits which makes for a broth that is lighter, less cloudy, and has a cleaner taste. Onions, garlic and ginger are another common addition and charring them first adds an extra depth of flavour to the broth. You could leave things there and make a tasty broth but I like to add mushrooms, seaweed and bacon for even more layers of flavour and that umami kick. Everything needs to simmer for a long time, about 10-16 hours, to extract all of the flavour that you can before the solids are strained from the broth. Because the broth takes so long to simmer it can be done overnight and it's a good idea to make it a day or two ahead of time. Once the broth has been strained you can skim the fat off the top and use it right away or you can chill it in the fridge where the fat will form a solid layer on top of the broth that you can more easily remove. A good broth will be gelatinous after chilling in the fridge and it will melt easily back into a tasty liquid when reheated on the stove. This broth is perfect for tonkotsu (pork) ramen and many other soups!

Read the recipe

14:07

Homemade Preserves to Can this Spring "IndyWatch Feed Food"

The spring season offers us numerous opportunities to make and can homemade preserves. Its a great time to refill the pantry after a winter of draining it. This is also a season in which the earth offers us great produce for sweet and easy to make preserves.   Strawberry Preserves Fresh strawberries are always a []

The post Homemade Preserves to Can this Spring appeared first on Homespun Seasonal Living.

10:00

11 Foods Scientifically Proven to Help You Sleep "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Plagued by insomnia? These eleven foods have been scientifically proven to help you sleep.

Its official, Brits dont sleep enough.

Recent research found a staggering 38 per cent of Brits are not getting enough sleep with women aged 35-44 affected the worst.

The survey, conducted by life insurance company Aviva looked at the sleep habits of 14 countries globally and found Britons were the worst sleepers.

People have been using food and herbs for centuries to help them nod off trying everything from cups of hot milk to camomile tea. Read more

09:59

Post-Collapse Survival Bartering: 10 Items That Will Be Worth Their Weight in Gold "IndyWatch Feed Food"

As a nation, we are faced with a host of different problems from many directions, both domestically and internationally.  The statistical improbability of a disaster occurring (such as war or economic collapse) decreases with the passage of time and the addition of other factors that lead into such.  For a couple of good primers on collapse and warfare (overall effects on societies and civilizations), I recommend two by Jared Diamond: Guns, Germs, and Steel, and Collapse.

When any kind of society or civilization becomes unraveled, usually the nations cash loses its value within days at the most.  Were going to cover a few general categories of items to keep for barter (meaning regular or frequent trade), citing individual examples within each category.  In The Preppers Blueprint, the idea of bartering was covered extensively and it isnt always acquiring tradable goods, but also tradable services.

If a long-term emergency causes and end to our existing monetary system and an end to the exchange of fiat currency that our world currently operates on, people will resort back to bartering for skills and services in order to make transactions.

Living in a bartering environment means one must possess certain goods or skills that others find value in. As Brandon Smith writes on the subject, If you wish to survive after the destruction of the mainstream system that has babied us for so long, you must be able to either make a necessary product, repair a necessary product, or teach a necessary skill.'

The Preppers Blueprint

Do Not Barter The Following Items:

Before I hit the list, Im going to mention what I will not barter or only in an emergency, and why.

• Ammunition, Firearms, or parts for firearms: The first two can be used against you, and the latter can be employed to fix something that can be used against you. [I will not barter with them ever]. That said, in a previous article, I mentioned the importance of knowing how to repair firearms. This is a barterable skill and one that will be of high importance in a post-collapse scenario.

Thursday, 22 March

16:54

Low-Carbohydrate Stuffed Mushrooms "IndyWatch Feed Food"

I love stuffed mushrooms. This past Thanksgiving I had an old high school friend coming for the meal who was on a very restricted-carbohydrate diet. So I got to thinking about how I could make them without the crackers. Having a garden has taught me how to be creative with whats available. This dish turned out really well.

Ingredients

• 10 large crimini mushrooms, plus one small mushroom
  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 stick organic celery
  • 1 medium to large organic onion
  • unrefined sea salt
  • garlic powder

Instructions

1. Wash the mushrooms and dry them with a paper towel. Cut off the ends of the stems and discard. Remove the rest of the stems and put aside. Take off the white film around where the stems were to make room for lots of stuffing. Place the large mushrooms in a baking pan.
  2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  3. Dice the onion and put it in a frying pan with 2 T butter and a generous dash of salt and garlic powder. Cook for 5-7 minutes until soft.
  4. Dice the stems and the remaining mushroom and add them to the onions with another 2 T butter. Cook until soft, again 5-7 minutes.
  5. Dice the celery. Turn off the heat under the frying pan and add the celery.
  6. Mix together well. Stuff the mushrooms. Cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the mushrooms look soft.
  7. Place on a serving platter but allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving. This recipe can be doubled or tripled for more people.

The post Low-Carbohydrate Stuffed Mushrooms appeared first on The Weston A. Price Foundation.

11:32

There's Perhaps An 80% Chance That Your Bloating Woes Aren't Related To Gluten "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Are you scared of gluten?

Are you avoiding it because gluten containing foods leave you feeling bloated or otherwise unwell?

It's probably not the gluten.

Adding to a growing pile of evidence that it's not the gluten that's causing your symptoms (no one's doubting the symptoms, it's more a matter of figuring out where they're coming from) is this recently published, albeit small, study highlighting a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled challenge of twenty patients without celiac disease or wheat allergy who were suspected of having non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS), and who had all experienced relief from their symptoms following a gluten-free diet.

Every one of the study's participants went through four separate periods of double-blinded challenges - two with gluten, and two without, in random order. They were asked to consume two muffins per day which did or did not contain 11g of gluten for 4 days followed by a 3 day washout all the while continuing to eat their otherwise gluten free diet. They simultaneously tracked their gastrointestinal symptoms and were asked their thoughts as to whether they were consuming gluten containing muffins or not during each treatment. All subjects diets were also analyzed after the fact for their FODMAP content.

Looking at the participants self-reported symptoms scores, they were worst after the challenge with the placebo (gluten-free) muffins - significantly so even - with a p value of 0.012. Of the 20 subjects, only 20% (4) correctly identified the two periods they received gluten containing muffins. Of course 4 people of 20 correctly identifying which muffins contained gluten may well occur simply by chance and consequently conclusions can't be drawn on their basis.

All this to say, taking those 4 as real data points, this study suggests that 80% of people with unexplained food-related discomfort aren't reacting to gluten, and though people's bloating, flatulence, abdominal pain, fatigue, and other symptoms, are real, what's causing them is not yet clear....

10:44

Neglecting Our Health Can Cause Deeper Grievance; Its High Time We Take Care "IndyWatch Feed Food"

We rush every day to maintain a lifestyle in which we can fulfill our desires and work hard towards achieving our goals. But while we spend a huge amount of time in pulling off our financial statement in a balanced way, we keep neglecting our overall health for long. That, in turn, causes chronic illness

10:39

Fashion Tips For Pregnant Women "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Finding the perfect outfit to wear while you are pregnant is not easy. Your regular clothes can become too tight for comfort. The pair of jeans you like no longer fit above your hips and your tops hang funnily on your belly and are too tight for your liking. Finding something nice and fashionable for

Wednesday, 21 March

18:54

Can Food-Focused Medicine Cure Food-Related Disease? "IndyWatch Feed Food"

March 21, 2018
Organic Consumers Association
Julie Wilson

So-called modern food, produced through industrialized, chemical-intensive farming practices, is causing a host of chronic, hard-to-diagnose and hard-to-treat health problems in children and adults, say Michelle Perro, MD and Vincanne Adams, PhD, authors of Whats Making Our Children Sick? 

The book explores the impact chronic exposure to toxins in our foodpesticides, hormones and antibioticsis having on children, many of whom suffer from myriad health problems that are often linked to an impaired gut and overtaxed immune system.

The book also explores the power of ecomedicinemedicine that focuses on clean, healthy food.

Children who primarily depend on a Western diet, consisting of pro...

IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed Archiver

IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog